Tuesday, August 6, 2013

In Search of Reggio

In Search of Reggio

Montessori instruction has been in my blood since 1976. I have been in the classroom all of these years. Being somewhat rebellious, I have done my best work alone in my own school where I can manage my time and follow my own lead minute to minute. Tired of the Pink Tower? We will do art all summer. It has worked well. But, each year I need a new theme to keep things fresh. One year it was setting up my two You Tube channels. 

Last year it was going full tilt on Pinterest, which has opened a huge window for all of us teachers.

Wanting more open creativity in my classroom I started doing free form design using materials in a more flexible way. As I saw similar posts on Pinterest I came to understand this has been done for a long time using “loose parts” in Reggio.
I am awe struck by the way Reggio beautifully presents natural objects for creative exploration.
They have won me over and I will be studying the method and incorporating Reggio’s style and free manner of handling classroom arrangement.

I am excited!



2 comments:

mamita said...

Oh wow I love this post. Perfect summer time activities for blazing hot Houston. I've been looking for some good Reggio activities and didn't know where to look, but you have really gathered up so many pics and ideas all in one place.

My father just had a major surgery, and this is perfect for keeping my kiddo entertained and exploring/learning while keeping her off the TV while i care for my dad. It really seems like you just provide the materials and they do the rest. Not much instruction needed.

Loving your blog...been following you for a while. Please keep posting. Your work is an inspiration for me.

Thanks!
J

inspiredmontessori said...

Thanks for reading my blog,J! I often wonder if anyone sees what I put up. Mainly, I do it for my own pleasure.
Reggio is so interesting in many ways and I am compiling objects I already have to use as new explorations. I am so excited about this new avenue for science and nature sensitivity and creativity. Follow my Pinterest for Reggio ideas I may be following.