Sunday, November 25, 2012

Harold and the Purple Crayon


Harold and the Purple Crayon

One of my favorite books from my childhood is still a book that instills silence at story time because of the fantasy world drawn by little artist Harold as he walks through his life. 
One never knows what his crayon will draw in adventure. 




This game gives structure to our drawing lesson.





We read the books and then use the game's picture cards to make a world of our own. I make an easy master for the kids to view.



I often print out titles for projects




Using the game's cards as drawing prompts we create our own world as we hold up a card and tell a new story as we draw.









Children asked to do more than one of these delightful drawings which showed me it was a successful project.













9 comments:

Deb Chitwood said...

This is wonderful, Carolyn! I love the art inspiration you add to the Montessori world! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned it to the Literature-Based Activities Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/literature-based-activities/

Mireille said...

what a great idea :) last weekend we also did a few activities based on "Harold and the Purple Crayon "...it's one of our favourite books :)
http://kiddilemma.blogspot.gr/2012/11/story-extension-harold-and-purple-crayon.html

inspiredmontessori said...

Thank you Deb and thank you Mireille for the link!

jeannine: waddlee-ah-chaa said...

Oh how I love Harold and his purple crayon! And I love children having the freedom to explore their world through art! :) Fabulous drawings.

We went on a drawing safari this week.

Stopping in from HHH

Savannah @ HammockTracks said...

Thanks for linking up to the November Look What We Did. I am adding this to my Literature board on Pinterest.

inspiredmontessori said...

Thanks, Savannah. I am have a lot of fun finding link up parties.

BlessedCP said...

IS there a source where we can get those drawing cards? What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

inspiredmontessori said...

Google the game at the top. Good luck. Carolyn

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.